lactose free Dairy products are made with the lactose (milk sugar) removed. This makes them easier to digest for people with lactose intolerance, a condition in which the body does not produce enough of the enzyme lactase, which breaks down lactose. There are many different types of lactose free Dairy products available, including milk, yogurt, cheese, ice cream, and cream cheese. They also come in a variety of flavors and textures. According to the National Institutes of Health, about 65% of the world’s population is lactose intolerant. The development of new technologies for the production of lactose free Dairy products, such as enzymatic hydrolysis and ultrafiltration.
Advantages of lactose free Dairy products
- They can help relieve the symptoms of lactose intolerance, such as bloating, gas, and diarrhea.
- They can provide the same nutrients as regular dairy products, including calcium, protein, and vitamin D.
- They can be a good choice for people who are looking for a lactose-free or dairy-free diet.
Potential health benefits of consuming lactose free Dairy products:
- Improved bone health
- Reduced risk of heart disease
- Improved gut health
Side effect of using lactose-free dairy product
- Allergic reaction
The lactose-free enzyme used to make lactose free Dairy products can sometimes cause an allergic reaction. Symptoms of an allergic reaction can include hives, swelling, and difficulty breathing.
Some people find that lactose free Dairy products do not taste as good as regular dairy products. This is because the lactose-free enzyme can sometimes alter the taste of the product.
- Increased sugar
Some lactose free Dairy products may contain added sugar to improve the taste. This could be a concern for people who are trying to limit their sugar intake.
Some recommendations for lactose free Dairy products that are less likely to have negative effects:
- Read the labels carefully
- Try different brands
- Start with small amounts
The lactose-free Dairy product market in North America is the largest in the world, with a market value of USD 11.5 billion in 2021. The United States is the largest market for lactose-free products in North America, with a market value of USD 7.5 billion in 2021.
Canada is the second-largest market for lactose free Dairy products market in North America, with a market value of USD 2.5 billion in 2021. The growth of the lactose-free market in North America is being driven by increasing awareness of lactose intolerance, rising health consciousness, and the growing popularity of plant-based diets.
The lactose-free market in the Asia Pacific is the second-largest in the world, with a market value of USD 6.5 billion in 2021. China is the largest market for lactose-free products in the Asia Pacific, with a market value of USD 3.5 billion in 2021.
India is the second-largest market for lactose-free products in the Asia Pacific, with a market value of USD 1.5 billion in 2021. The growth of the lactose-free market in the Asia Pacific is being driven by rising incomes, increasing westernization, and growing awareness of lactose intolerance.
- In 2022 Chobani launched Ultra-Filtered milk which is lactose free and also it is very easy to digest according to the data it contains 20g of protein and approx. 50% less sugar than traditional milk.
- In 2023, Arla Foods launched a new lactose-free ice cream in Europe. The new ice cream is made with lactose-free milk and cream.
- In 2023, Nestle launched a new lactose-free yogurt in India. The new yogurt is made with lactose-free milk and fruit.